- Parent groups are provided for parents, who have concerns about the development of their children from birth to school age and into adulthood.
- The Parent Groups are staffed by Family Resource Specialists who are also parents or close family members of children with disabilities . EPU believes powerful and unique support comes from staff members who also have children with disabilities.
- There is no cost to attend a Parent Group. Childcare may be available upon request.
- The Family Resource Specialist on staff will help parents advocate the educational, social, recreational and medical needs of their children. EPU’s Family Resource Specialist will guide parents in obtaining the services their children need to thrive. Parents may call the EPU at any time to find out if a Family Resource Specialist can help.
- Support and information is provided to families when they have a child in the hospital with a disability or long-term special health care need.
IEP and 504 Clinics
- FRC staff hosts workshops and trainings on many topics such as Individual Education Plans (IEP), ADD/ADHD and many more for parents, professionals and community members who is interested in attending at no cost.
- EPU seeks opportunities for families to share their personal stories with professional and student groups. This promotes understanding and fosters effective communication between families and the professionals. EPU also sets up information booths at health fairs to promote community awareness.
- FRC staff participates in decision-making committees at the local, state and national levels to support families and provide them with the latest information. EPU offers assistance to parents who would like to participate in committees and advisory groups.
- Parent to Parent support from experienced parents.
- Parent support groups
- Individualized Education Plan (IEP) trainings and clinics
- Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) trainings and clinics
- Assistance in advocating for services
- Resource information, coordination and referral
- Services provided in English, Spanish and Hmong